The official MV of 楚汉传奇/Legend of Chu and Han is out:
Three Kingdom is the last Cdrama I’ve watched that wow’d me with awesome every possible way, elevating PD GaoXiXi to the pedestal of Can’tDoNoWrong, esp in a historical. While his choice of actresses is always questionable, and I’m always wondering what does he see in Peter Ho talent-wise when the talent pool at his disposal is as deep?! Minor misgivings in Three Kingdom’s case when drama is doing justice on all the important fronts to a piece of classic literature very dear to me (even casting Peter as the buffoonish peacock of a warrior works).
I don’t like much if any of this ChuHan MV though. Argh. What is causing me a great deal of pain?
1. Peter. He is spectacularly hammy even by his confines. Posturing and preening like a manga cosplayer is how I’ll put it to words what he’s doing on my screen. He should never be in any proper historical, ever, because his period speak and mannerisms are all hopelessly wrong. I thought GXX is aiming to tell a convincing story along the vein of 3 Kingdom here. This MV has me super worried. Peter is jarring like his XiangYu is a moderner time-traveled back with grime and blood thrown on to fake it. He still has not learned the skill to relax any of his face muscles to appear not crazily emoting every single feel when I can’t see XY being half as high-strung. What worries me more is PD Gao gushing all over him saying he did a fantastic job here, bringing his career to new heights. Erm, I don’t see any of it. If you tell me this is a fanMV of his LuBu (opposite in brains fr XY as far as warring warriors go), I’m easily sold.
2. Where is the MOOLAH?! This is touted as the most expensive C drama production EVER, then don’t be a sick tease, gimme a taste of it in your very first official MV.
3. The tune. It’s so chinese poprock, befitting the tone if it’s one of those garden variety RPG gamer fantasy periods for children TangRen is an expert at, just not anything I wanna attach GXX, and paining me more, Chen DaoMing to. And while Peter is a much better singer than actor, his voice is tender sweet mellow lullaby boyish, ie NOT!XiangYu.
4. WHERE THE FUCK IS CHEN DAOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????? He’s widely regarded as the best of the best working C thespians, better than Tony Leung to many. And I’m a HUGE Tony Leung irrational fangirl yet I can concur to that statement quite often. I know this is a song about XiangYu sang by Peter who is our XiangYu and the lyrics is nth BUT XiangYu. However if you are going to appease this fangirl and most of the C ahjummas in control of the remote and gear us up ready for this premiering Dec 28th with this MV, MAJOR FAIL!!!
5. The lyrics. ARGHHHHHHHH! It is sooooooooo amateurish modern speech when I need archaic poetry and lyricism and EPICNESS. I’m crying. I’m crying mostly because it is penned by 藤井樹, the pen name of 吴子云/Hiyawu, one of the pioneers of C webnovellas, the author of my first webnovella. I diligently waited like the addict I am with abated breath for every next chapter. I love his 《夏日之诗》, which he adapted into a 16 min short he directed himself, using his own savings (on a shoestring budget), starring a very good friend of his Roy Qiu (his first work post-enlistment…which imo is his first time impressing me with a maturity, a depth, a skill set he’s never been allowed to flex in his usual idolduds). And from a Roy Qiu fangirl to another, how often do we see him in stuff that’s safe for our heads and the desks?
In HD @Tudou
It’s a beautiful weepy. Roy is 徐昱杰, his handle in chatroom is 夏日(Summer). We begin the story with his chat with 紛飛(Flutter)
紛飛: It’s raining outside……
夏日: But to me, it’s sunny (I’m happy).
紛飛: You are a bit cheeky……
夏日: You chat with a lot of dot, dot, dot.
紛飛: These dot, dot, dot give me an ease of mind……
夏日: I’m happy because I can see you.
紛飛: Do you want to see me…… 夏日: Want.
紛飛: When…… 夏日: Now.
紛飛: Lets take a stroll a street apart!
紛飛: That side of the street, it has your scent.
Summer’s Poem (by Flutter)
The length of that street presides my obsession for you.
You lingers on that side of the sidewalk.
While a million raindrops were shattering on the ground, you can hear my footsteps.
The rain had never wet my skirt; I have never slowed down.
Summer, rain flutters, a setpiece from God.
Summer is you, I am Flutter, and the rain is a pretty decoration between us.
Parallel, on the sidewalks, we intersect.
The end of the road is near, I can see it already.
Actually you do not have to ask Him, that night when the rain is fluttering.
Even if the rain never stopped, I would love to stay in your heart.