あらま!!! InK fandom, you need to stop being insanely AWESOME. Yuki-kun, you being the cutest noobie at weibo, obviously reading (some of the) 3000+ comments to your every post, posting accordingly to what the fangirls are begging (see the pic with Honoka) then this vid, yourself, too criminally CUTE:
QTpie you do not do as the fangirls say, because they will (or are) demand nikkid pics of any of your body parts, and preferably with Honoka too…and both of you making out for ‘some scene in drama’.
No episode 6 Friday didn’t register in my brain and I kept looking for it a few times, and keep forgetting. Any luck distracting yourself from bring robbed of your crack and you can feel your brain shutting down, deflating without its candy? I’m waiting for my redeye and this literally perk me up better than 3 cups of coffee. But be warned, anyone not really in the fandom will think this is the silliest thing ever in this blog…and I’m talking THIS BLOG XDDDDDD.
Here. I seriously giggled out loud at the airport reading this cute post, and again when translating, which laid out how our Naoki fell for his Kotoko, and I mean this dearie observed every flickering of his innermost thoughts and emotions and put it to words, compiling the best watching companion we can only dream of.
This is originally posted at baidubar: http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/75f4ec69jw1e4aaunkbtcj20c8a6b4qq.jpg the how-to watch guide/what you missed companion for InK: Love in Tokyo ep1-5 ad nauseum rewatches. It is the best thing chronicling every tingling swoony progression of the Fall of the ‘doomed’ mighty IQ+200/EQ-20 genius boy Naoki into the cute loving lap of Kotoko.
I’m not responsible for any life ruining, time sucking rewatch(es) of 5 whole eps of dorama from now till next Friday. That play button, you click it yourself. And I’m too lazy to even come up with thoughts of mine, this is a quickie translation (too tired and lazy to put in caps…maybe I’ll later, but…I need zzz more!) LALALALALALA~~~~
*Biggest thanks to Genius Original Poster 庄婕希!*
Episode 1 in one line: Kotoko’s love declaration is major FAIL, but she is moving in with the Iries
What is going through Irie’s mind:
- A craycray fangirl makes a love declaration at school’s front gate, absolutely ignored.
- This craycray fangirl is moving into my house, shocked but not concerned.
- Yelled by this craycray fangirl at school’s front gate, speechless +*snerk*
- The craycray fangirl is shocked senseless (at learning she’s moving into MY home), laughed out loud.
- Craycray fangirl is so stupid she does not know the answer to a primary school quiz problem, speechless+ignore.
Ep2: Kotoko coerced Irie to be her tutor; she successfully gets into Top100
- When this stupid girl carries a mad grin on her face the next morning, eyes not able to leave him, he expresses his bewilderment and ignores her some more.
- When Kotoko takes out the photo to threaten him, ‘Cool-as-cucumber-kun’ Irie experiences his first incident of fraying around the edges. It is a feeling he has never felt before. Everyone around him is worshiping the genius, he has multiple halos on him. Even Kotoko’s bff said no one in the right mind fights with Irie, but, shockingly he is intimidated by this stupid girl, and he has no choice but to go as she says…
- ‘This girl’s stupidity is another planet of its own, even with the simplest thing to me… speechless*lesigh*, it’s bizarre a person can live with this level of stupidity, ‘Irie must be thinking.
- Although she is beyond stupid, she is determined, and very hardworking. She is so tenacious he can’t help but be moved and shaken, so hardworking she really squeezes onto the Top100 list. This is a very earth-shattering experience observing from the side line for Irie. This is also the reason why Irie is envious of Kotoko at this moment: for a genius, everything has neatly fallen on his lap, he has never encountered anything requiring every bit of his effort to attain. Irie has a lightbulb moment: living like Kotoko maybe interesting. And Ganbette.
- Morning Coffee: A very intricate and significant scene in ep2. For Irie, spending every moment the week before exams with Kotoko allows him to observe every aspect of Kotoko’s perseverance and charm. When he wakes up that morning, this is the girl *with all the sparkling soft focus shoujo glorious glow* who is making him a cup of coffee, sitting across him at the breakfast table. This is a scene the heart is made to skip a beat.
Ep 3: Those dubious butterflies in the tummies we call almost love is building up, as they spend night and day together. This is the pivotal episode where Irie’s feelings are obviously shifting…he is even beginning to enjoy the experience.
- The beginning of the episode is one crucial scene. Irie read Kotoko’s love letter. Starting with disdain, he willingly finishes the entire letter…Kotoko is no longer someone he ignores. He is subconsciously harboring an interest in getting to know this girl. He has changed his old ways of slighting her and disregard, and trying to express his interest in his own ways, like removing her breadcrumbs with his own hands.
- At dinner, The Mother Who Is The Expert In Selling Out Her Son for 10,000Years said out loud her wish for Kotoko to marry said son. Irie’s first reaction is not to vehemently refuse, but immediately glancing at Kotoko’s face! Kotoko is aware of the improbability, but for the sake of pride, she expresses her ‘mild protest’, which irritates Irie. THEN, he throws in his nonchalant protest. Both of them, under the instigation of Mom, said no. Needless to say Irie is a highIQ lowEQ specie! He does not understand the psychology of a girl, when a girl protests mildly, it may only be empty words, she does not mean it at heart, at all! He must’ve done too many induction problems, when Kotoko said no to marrying Irie, he takes in her words as is, makes a big fuss to prove she is lying, and presents the silliest proof of all–reciting her love letter! When Kotoko ‘answers’ him back with a slap on the face, he must be so lost. It must be the first time he’s ever been hit…… This girl is embarrassed and flabbergasted, hollering at him why he has to read it out loud in front of everyone, he is clearly flustered, if not for MommyIrie to the rescue, he would be absolutely dumbfounded and lost for word. When he saved face by saying, ‘You are the one who should explain it!’ He is not saying it for face. Because as The Dreamboat who never has a hair out of place, is it really necessary to lose composure just to prove whether the girl you are ignoring anyway is in love with yourself or not? His action is clearly selling his true feelings out.
- When Kin-chan intrudes, Irie does not waste a second to KO such a laughably subpar ‘rival’ with, ‘I might not like her yesterday, but that does not mean I won’t like her tomorrow!’ In other words, whether I like her or not, that’s unsure, but the ball is in my court! ‘Don’t forget, compared to you, she likes me more!’ In other words, Kotoko is pining after me, you are not even a rival! After KO’ing Kinchan in less than a second, he snottily walks up to his room, leaving an agitated Kinchan beyond. (Hey, dinner is just set, a whole table of food is ready to be devoured, and you are not eating?!?! ARE you embarrassed at yourself with what you said, hanging your heart on your sleeves and now can’t bear all the shocked and bewildered stares?!) After getting into his room, he must be so mad himself, ‘Am I out of my mind? What did I just say….?’
- When Irie sees Kotoko running circles in the field as punishment, he hits her with a tennis ball! Hearsay, in grade school (or preschool), when a boy likes a girl, he will deliberately be a pesky bully…so we can deduce, the EQ of Irie in the romance department is that of a 5 year old! Teacher is speaking the obvious, ‘You two should not fight/flirt here, in the open (get a room!)’ Kotoko is speechless, and what is the reaction of our 5 yo boy Irie?! He is dallying a smirk at a flustered Kotoko running away hiding from the embarrassment, and he himself is looking at her backside…and smiles….he is smiling at the sight of her…SMILING! At this very moment, Irie is not the Irie at the end of e2 who was so against having a scandal with Kotoko, he is almost enjoying and obviously having fun with it.
- Mom deliberately makes way for Kotoko and Irie alone time, there is no denying Irie gets her intention instantaneously! He is no longer against spending time with Kotoko alone, he is even looking forward to it, anticipating what will this fangirl of his do to please him.
- When he sees the kitchen from hell, all the handiwork of Kotoko of inedible ‘food’, other than being speechless, he must be contemplating why dishes he can easily accomplish by taking one look at the procedures and pictures will turn out to be this abomination in her hand, after laboring over it for most of the day…but still he does not get angry at her silliest horrible mess.
- How many of you would lay your homework out on the table just at the nick of the day before class, that is when you’ve finished it the first day of break?! Let alone someone who never have to study nor read any textbooks! This is a trap! A trap in broad moonlight! No doubt! No doubt about whether Irie is woken up by Kotoko (Not!), when she trips on the chair, he must be rolling his eyes thinking, ‘this thing does not even have the ability to steal/take a notebook laid out for her….’
- Just when Kotoko almost accomplishes her mission, he grabs and flings her on his bed, starting a nosebleed-inducing, not that suitable for children, blatant toying/flirting with Kotoko. When Kotoko says, ‘Although I really like Irie-kun, this is moving too fast, lets tone it down to dating at a normal pace.’ This dude is gloating, this is going exactly as planned: to confirm Kotoko’s feelings. When he gets the answer he wants, he’s beyond delighted, so excited the guy who goes to bed at 10pm every night is pulling an all-nighter to help Kotoko with copying his own homework…
- Morning Coffee, AGAIN! This is the plot device marking Irie’s heart fluttering, a scene of pure bliss with Kotoko for Irie, he likes this very much. Therefore, he playfully commands Kotoko to make him a cup of coffee.
Ep4: When it rains, it pours: The new, miserable life of Irie-kun.
This is the episode where the feelings of Irie towards Kotoko is steadily growing obvious (to us and everyone but the boy himself). What started in ep2 and 3, Kotoko is now becoming a constant, a habit he can’t live without in his life!
- Kotoko gives Irie an omamori/lucky charm she made, this leads to the first deep discussion between the two, between a genius and a……Irie ponders big life questions not with his bff, not his parents but with Kotoko. This fact alone illustrates how special Kotoko already is to him. Kotoko is now a ‘friend’ Irie can open up and share his innermost thoughts with. At the end of their conversation, Yukikun said the line, ‘I will head to bed, I need to wake up early tomorrow’ with his yummilicious voice with such a warmth…his Irie is considerate and a nice boy inside, not a snarky snob.
- Kotoko ties the lucky charm onto Irie’s bag. Irie says to his friend he’ll tear it off when they get to school, But as the reigning Dreamboat of every breathing girl, how can you tolerate walking in public carrying that? Clearly, you are not THAT revolted, because this is from Kotoko, her thought that counts, or else you could’ve easily thrown it away, left it at home! We all know you are just saying it to save face, hammering in the point to your bff, I understand, but …that lucky charm does not understand your point…and your misfortune begins…I will light a prayer candle for you.
- Elevator malfunction, tripped and hurt his perfect face, all pencils broken at exam…Irie’s life has turned into one continuous epic tragedy because of the ‘lucky’ charm, his life is miserable for the very first time! Congrats, Irie-kun for fulfilling your dream of leading a life that is not smooth sailing! At the end of his ordeal, Irie-kun makes a conclusion, ‘This is quite fun!’ Irie feels like Kotoko is supplying him with endless unexpected surprises and excitement he has never had before, in his challenge-less life to the point of boring mundane. He can’t deny he wants Kotoko to be by his side, so he can bask in her doting, enjoying a bumpier but so much more exciting ride because of her, that is why he fakes being annoyed to ‘have to’ bring Kotoko back home from running away.
- This must be the first time Irie is consciously expecting chocolate from a girl, like any guy in puberty, wishing the girl who likes him to make chocolate for him that special day! BECAUSE he has already accepted and is getting too used to the fact he is loved by Kotoko and he enjoys it!
- When our boy fiddles the fridge for his chocolate, he puts it in his mouth without any hesitation, vaingloriously saying it tastes awful. However, he brings the chocolate back to his room, and with a 45 degree tilting of head, gazing the sky with chocolate in hand, all we can say is, ‘Young man, you are in love~!’
Ep 5: THE FIRST KISS!
This episode is here to hammer in the point: Irie the shonen is in love! The mighty has fallen, even though he is as the passive end in this romance. He thought he can sit back and enjoy being spoiled by Kotoko’s love, but he’s beginning to sense he can’t ignore the threats around!
- Lets start with a rant on the obsession over breadcrumb. The number of appearance of ‘breadcrumbkun’ ie a lovenick by Irie for Kotoko has surpassed Morning Coffee! This is because BreadCrumbkun has always been the ‘cupid’ for them to bicker! Ep1, Breadcrumbkun was under a lot of cruel snerking by Irie; In ep3, Breadcrumbkun is already treated with respect by Irie, removing it with a gentlemanly care; by ep5, Breadcrumbkun is the wingman for Irie to flirt with Kotoko…with a smile at that! Why would Irie nitpick on the tiny Breadcrumbkun? Because the Kotoko with Breadcrumbkun has grown into a very cute and charming thing in his heart, but he can’t say nor admit to that. Yes! To be frank, even a breadcrumb on Kotoko or Kotoko with a spec of breadcrumb is cute now to Irie!
- This whole episode, Irie has rarely broken from his Jealous mode. And bravo to the director for feasting us every nuance of his pouting and jealousy. For example: a) Standing by the window, witnessing Kotoko and Kinchan being chummy while walking to their class, the glimpse on his face that moment he turns his head is filled with annoyance. b) When Kotoko follows Kinchan, leaving the room, we have a good look at his deflated side profile. c) At the graduation dinner, his face is frigid when walking in. d) In the hallway, mistaking Kinchan and Kotoko is making out, his face is never lit, in shadows on purpose, stressing the point Irie is annoyed to the point it is turning into rage. Yup, he’s JEALOUS! In other words, he’s so pissed at Kotoko he’s losing his mind! This is the girl who keeps saying she loves him but she is now having a relationship with some other guy, and he can not stand it, not once, nor twice and never almost every time he sees them!
- This is the first episode where Irie feels threatened, he is feeling this unease, a sense of powerless. He finds out Kinchan, someone he doesn’t even regard as a rival, can express his love of Kotoko so directly and with so much heart. Every word and action of Kinchan towards Kotoko is a provocation on Irie. Kinchan is leagues below him in IQ, but when it comes to love, he is much more competent, like any normal boy. Although Irie has to keep his image of Dreamboat intact, and suppresses his true feelings, he also realizes this is a proper threat he can’t ignore. His 5 year old EQ is useless in tackling Kinchan the threat, the only battle he has confident in a sure-kill is confirming Kotoko’s feelings for himself! Yes! Iriekun is going at it again, reaching for a reassurance, the comfort of Kotoko’s love.
- In order to get what he wants, he bashfully said, ‘Aren’t you the one in love with such a cold-blooded person?’ Under the glaring eyes of all the witnesses around, Kotoko of course denies. (Wait, isn’t this a rendezvous? Correct, this is almost the exact replica of the family meeting, when Mom threw out the suggestion on the table of Kotoko marrying Irie!)
- Last time, in order to prove Kotoko is in love with himself, he recited her whole love letter in front of their family. It ended up with a slap on the face from Kotoko, but, clearly he has not learned his lesson. He is again, trying to prove the point! This time in front of ALL of their classmates. The egg beater and the chocolate she has made for him are his evidence this time around. Too bad, this time around Kotoko has smarten up, his one and only blemish in life has been aired out in front of both classes! Kotoko is really a girl of her words, she made a promise to bring excitement into Irie’s life and here she is. Hence, Iriekun experiences another first in life, the feeling of so embarrassed in need of a hole to hide,forever. Irie-kun, isn’t this thrilling!?
- Although Irie has been enjoying Kotoko’s doting without lifting a finger, in reality, he is also expressing his love for Kotoko in his own odd ways with repeatedly mentioning of breadcrumb and morning coffee. When they are taking the graduation picture, Irie is the one tugging Kotoko closer, even though he has to thrown in a sniding remark on breadcrumbkun, the camera captures that glorious smile. Who else has Irie flashed such a smile at but Kotoko?! He is also the one who is not adhering to the ‘restraining order’ of 2 meters.
- Kotoko says she has been under a bit of his care, Irie rebutts, ‘ A bit?’ Why would he be anal over such a tiny detail? Because this little bit represents what he’s given up for Kotoko! He has been wronged. He’s hurt. He’s done so much for her but in her eyes it’s just a tiny bit. He has never stayed up and studied, but he has to tutor her most patiently, helping her with getting onto the Top100 list, when her stupidity is dumbfounding. Is this just a tiny bit of care from his part? His bedtime has always been 10 pm sharp, he pulled an all-nighter to help you copy HIS OWN HW! And this is just an insignificant bit of care to you?!
- Irie vs Kin-chan round 2! In ep3, Irie did not even register Kin-chan in his system, and KO’d him within seconds. In ep5, for a guy slowly (and steadily) falling in love, the presence of Kin-chan is suddenly a threat to Irie. Things are different now that we are in the ‘fallen’ stage, he is much more sensitive to everything pertaining, much more anal, petty and nitpicking, all human nature. But Irie is not a normal human being, he is so much more in touch with his human side after meeting Kotoko. After he’s fallen for Kotoko, his jealousy is also turning him more and more into a ‘normal guy’.
- What exposes Irie’s feelings for Kotoko the best in ep5? Taking the picture together? Flirting with her? KISS? NO! It is when the three of them exchange charged glances at each other in the hallway! Irie sees Kotoko running after Kin-chan, and he can’t help it but follow her. (What?! You really think he has to use the loo?!) When Irie sees the ‘intimate’ innuendo between Kotoko and Kin-chan, he stalls, his whole face is barely lit, in the shadows, sombre reeking all over his face, is that a face someone with urgent business at the loo should have? This is exactly the face catching your love cheating! Kotoko is smart for once to sneak away, leaving Irie and Kinchan behind for a tête-à-tête! Kin-chan smirks at Irie, outing him as being jealous. He does not deny. Kin-chan says he is going to kiss Kotoko tonite, Irie hollers at him he should keep his somniloquy to his dreams! This is the first time Irie directly responds about his feelings towards Kotoko, making his stance for the first time. Irie is not Kin-chan’s competition in matters of the heart, his only weapon is Kotoko’s feelings towards him, that is why he has to urgently get another proof from Kotoko, he needs a reaffirmation of Kotoko’s love for him in front of Kin-chan, using her love for him to vie off Kin-chan the threat, something he has been failing since the episode. That is why he hurries back to the graduation ball, interrogates Kotoko isn’t she the one in love with a cold-blooded monster such as he himself? ‘You gave me the egg beater! You gave me chocolates! So you must now admit you love me!!’ <-the screams in his head.
- Hahaha! And Kin-chan is really the best tutor in romance for the clueless Irie, it is after Kin-chan being chummy, hugging Kotoko around her shoulders that it registers in Irie’s head without him consciously aware this is an expression of intimacy. If not for Kin-chan provoking, literally planting the idea of kissing Kotoko = a declaration of love, Irie may not be ‘smart’ enough to come up with the gesture of ‘marking his territory’ on the spot. And spoiler *heh* further down the line, it is Kin-chan who tells Irie the last resort to win back the girl’s heart is to ask for her hand in marriage…and guess what Irie does shortly after. kekekekeee
- Is their first kiss really a random prank?! Don’t be silly, set aside Irie is the Dreamboat of every breathing girl(or his bff, at least), even for a normal boy, who would give up his first kiss just for a prank?! (What?!? ! Don’t tell me you are wondering if this is Irie’s first kiss…) Lest we forget, Irie is a model student, perfect teen role model never stepping a hair out of decorum! This is a kiss that has been brewing in Irie for a while, I would say that tease the night he lets her copy his HW:and it precipitates under a trigger, breaking loose of Irie’s reasoning, exploding into….That KISS.
- When Irie is threatened by Kin-chan, he desperately needs another reaffirmation from Kotoko of her feelings towards him, instead, Kotoko loses her marbles, is hopelessly crying saying she is quitting, she’ll quit loving him! He also loses his level-headedness along with her words. There is this very slight deflating disappointment even when he’s trying his very best and almost succeeding to seem nonchalant. That is why he can not control his emotions, he can’t pretend he is cold and unfeeling, or whatever dreamboat every girl has her eyes on, or whatever the proper decorum of a respectable boy, all is gone to the …gutters. At that very moment, he can only follow his instinct, using the most direct way of expressing his feelings….and…he kisses those lips of hers!!!
- After the kiss Irie said to Kotoko, ‘Serves you right!’ As in you deserve it, that is, you deserve to be kissed, by me. AND WHY IS THAT IRIE-KUN?!