Hihi~ If anyone is wondering, no, I have not forgotten our mischievously kissing darlings. Actually, I’ve watched the episode twice and I can’t be the only one. We’ve gotta attack the episode again from the just barely melting wax figure Irie-kun’s pov, right?
ep1-ep5 is here. That was a translation of an awesome most observant baidu dearie with a bit of my input. This time I’ll try it myself, this episode is just so brimming with Irie is in love but wanna hide it goodness.
[all caps fr baidu, gifs fr weibo poster 四时欢; thanks to original posters!]
No shoujo is complete without the OTP walking under cascading sakura petals. Kotoko even have a matching outfit for the sakura. Seems like typical Irie, telling Kotoko to stop following him, but not. He could have told her in front of his dept, he is obviously aware of her walking 3 steps in sync behind him all the way, another 30 steps or so could not be buggy enough for him to say something. But no, he said so right before he has to cross the side walk, in front of HER dept. It is almost like he’s walking her to her class in his Irie way. And wanna place a bet? When he asks Kotoko if she is going to follow him to his dept, to his classroom *note the Irie we first met wouldn’t give her a choice even in the form of a rhetorical* if Kotoko says, o okkayyy. He will smirk ( we all know by now his smirking = smiling = he’s actually delighted) and rub it in with, ‘Oh~! Didn’t you say you will stop loving me? Why are you following me?!’ With picking that exact spot in front of her dept, he can get another reconfirmation fr Kotoko if she carries on following, that will totally make his day and he’ll unconsciously be carrying around that smirking smiling face.
2. ‘No way.’ said Irie, with a tiniest smirk. *coughsheismywifecough* Kotoko, you know if you are branded with the inquiry of ‘your girlfriend?’ from a supposedly super threatening drop dead gorgeous and brings her own backlighting crew goddess (lets just…go along with it) because you bumbled into their path and said a few dumb words… Congrats, that’s another OTP stamp right there. See, I get you Irie, still stewing from how embarrassing it must be for the square-pants perfect model student you to kiss Kotoko at some dingy back stairway at the graduation dinner and you like your routines and standard operating procedures: no kissing before dating must be on your manual. You must be confused with why it’s still ‘bothering’ and the memory is stuck in your head, maybe not at the frequency of every morning like Kotoko. It’s because you like it, yo! It’s double confusing when you don’t realize it. So when Kotoko is gloating in her new confidence you may however improbably affirm girl2’s inquiry, it does not take a genius like you to figure out that is because of your kiss giving her the idea, you do not like to be refreshed of your confusion there and then.
3. ‘I will marry you as my WIFE~!’ Oh Kin-chan. That is what a bestie is for. You fake it as a ‘rival’ to get that slow genius’s innards churning, wake the Kraken up and be threatened, laying out ALL your plans of attack but really are pointers for him to imitate and you said that kicker not to the girl you set out to marry but lolz at Irie. SellingSonOutfor10000YearsMommyIrie is also assisting with complimenting how good Kin-chan looks all professional in his chef outfit. And look at DaddyIrie’s face, that is the proper expressive face with everything written on it, witnessing all the commotion. Juxtaposing it with Irie’s face, isn’t it too calm throughout the scene? We’ve seen how he get brooding and jealous with every slightest instigation by KinChan last episode, not even to the extent of a declaration of marriage, this is so wrong a non-reactive face, Irie. The Irie doth protest too much, methinks.
4. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh my poor darling Irie, you put up the act of nonchalance you thought you’ve aced so well just so you can’t take your jealous eyes off Kotoko, while she has her full attention on a ganbette!KinChan. You are hatching your own plan to make Kotoko pay for her ‘infidelity’ huh? What if she turns around this instant and catches you paying attention to her which you’ve made a point never look her way the whole evening?!
5. That hair patting of Kinchan to Kotoko as encouragement is sooo cute and must’ve been a long going gesture between them for a while. They really are from the same pod with such a genuine friendship between them.
This is not just petty jealousy at work for Irie to stop and gaze with teacup in midair in the middle of drinking tea, his face is softer, I sense some envy…does he want to be nice to Kotoko and encourage her in college on their first day like Kinchan?! He has opened up before saying his life is interesting with her in it. We’ll interpret it his way of saying he enjoys her company, but he doesn’t know what to do with her and himself. Seeing THIS visual, he wants, with slightly seething teeth and downing a whole lot of tea.
6. Oh, you jealous? *phewwwww* is about right what is going on Irie-kun’s head. How hard it is to stick to one frigid I’m too cool to be grumpy but I don’t know I’m grumpy rawrrrr face the whole day? Attaboy you can finally exhale. Also, you know you are hot and wet just passing by the girl already, and you of all peeps have to chitchat a ‘Take a bath.’ Is that a real concern of you, I wonder. But is it you need some talking over spitting of YOUR own jealousy plus the daily nourishment of Kotoko is thinking of you huh? Or else why would you be sooooo delighted with Kotoko asking about the girl you walked with early in the day? Hmmm, I wonder how much of the seething jealous you felt yourself a cold shower won’t take care of, witnessing Kinchan doting on Kotoko is at play to jump to the judgment she is jealous. I mean Kotoko has no chance to be your girlfriend, does she even qualify to be jealous of other girls chasing after you?! And WHAT a chatterbox you suddenly become praising some girl you did not even cast an eye walking by until she stuck herself right by you side? Lets not even go dig into the whole psychology of jealous and games, if Kotoko’s whatever reaction can trigger a SMILE on ur face, she has squarely a place in your heart.
You do not know how cute is it to be so obsessed to the point you need to remind her NOT to forget loving you huh? With an almost second kiss at that!!?! Lets bring out the Old Irie to give you a good lecture how precious your lips are to even bother with talking to her, let alone teasing her with kisses. Old you would be ASHAMED of kissing a girl with no chance to be your girlfriend to the point of never mentioning it, let alone playing a prank with the embarrassment. Look how HAPPY you are all smiling just knowing she is not against you kissing her again, Kotoko reaffirming her feelings for you with closed eye anticipation brings you such immense joy. I bet you are relieved she is not offended by you forcing a kiss on her and be your old annoying self just to push her away knowing not how to deal with your emotions. I’m embarrassed for you not joining the dots of what she is to you, silly.
Lets also bring out the talented fangirls doing the work for you with their PS.
7. Did Kotoko see you? No. Did Kotoko say hi to you, bug you to start a conversation? No, she’s busy thinking out loud but not really that loud unless you are paying attention as obviously you are and you have to announce it yourself you are noticing her even when she’s being silly thinking out loud to HERSELF.
8. Kinchan the forever bestest of wingman is at work again with his I LUB U~ hand gesture. This is to Kotoko, but I am not the only one noticing every time Kinchan is making a love declaration Irie is in general direction it is directing as well. Irie is such perfectly trained by Kinchan pavlovian jealous puppy now, just a hand gesture will do the trick.
This begs rainbow color highlighters and all the hearts and stars we can spit up to mark Irie’s EVERY WORD and witness him EATING EVERY ONE OF THEM down the line! Oh Irie, you made the observation Kinchan’s way of earning his girl is to center his life around her, letting her influence his life’s decisions. You said you can never do it, with a smirk. I wonder what was said in passing ‘this is quite fun~!’ after being the most unfortunate disaster on exam day and oh why did you pick this uni? is not because of Kotoko in your life huh, not the Old Irie. Not just that, we know every Kotoko-love-battle-attack-plan Kinchan plants in Irie, he can’t control materializing (the kiss, and later declaration of marrying Kotoko!). Let alone this is an observation he arrives at himself.
9. I know you want to join the same club, huh? Old Irie: Do not join the club I’m joining, stay 2 clubs away from the club I’m joining. Do not let anyone know you even have the thought of joining the same club as me. Never join any club.
Yup, pretending you are looking at your watch, not noticing a thing by the stairs.
If you are so against Kotoko tagging along, you won’t even waste you time toying her, and you just have to stand there where she can see you, blatantly playing hide and seek and LETTING HER FOLLOW YOU SOME MORE. Because, you do not want her joining your same club. Sure~. Irie kun, Kotoko is pathetic at following tracks, if you do not drag your legs by STANDING there and busy wasting time SMIRKING at her a comehither, is she going to find it out by herself? Fat chance.
10. New habit of Irie kun triggered by Kotoko, whenever Kotoko thinks to herself, this time not even out loud, you just notice her grimace, be a chatterbox. This is the second time Iriekun is initiating conversation out of nowhere in one episode. She did not ask you to, but you just happens to know all the hard facts of what she is puzzled and wants to share too much information, because she is nobody to you, of course.
Yelping and lets take note on how Irie is standing so close to Kotoko he’s almost touching her….and a foot fr girl2.
Still yelping. Isn’t there a no talk policy? Oh that’s so highschool.
He is rubbing it in on everything girl2. Hey, you have kinchan since Yr1, I have girl2, since Yr1 too. er…ok you still win Kinchan is too awesome. Why they have identical defeated expression, beats me. *OTP!OTP!OTP!OTP!!!*
11. Is it juvenile to laugh with so much glee we can’t even see your eyes at the suffering Kotoko, Irie? ‘Duh. And I do not get the funny, and I have no chance, huh?’ Girl2 is screaming all of this with her face. Often, when people overreact, laugh in fits for no reason, it’s because they want to hide something…you want to dash to Kotoko and carry her and tend to her but your hands are tied by your pride huh? She gets hurt because you pissed off Chairman, are you feeling rotten inside honey?! You could be so happy, your inner voice saying, see how you make me suffer the first time in my life for things so confusing and intangible I still can’t put a word to it. *We call that jealousy because of lublub, Iriekun.*
Let us bear in mind, and forget about our cutie Kotoko’s suffering for a moment, if Kotoko can spark this smile on Irie’s face, we’ll let her have him, no more fighting for Iriekun, that goes for you too Girl2. It’s a fangirls’ pact.
12. I love the music prefacing the ending scene <333
I do not have to tell you where I’ve been, but where have you been out so late? Oh what perfect timing, did you wait for Kotoko around the corner? Why the asking? And why are you initiating conversation with Kotoko when she does not even notice you for the third time now in one episode?! You do not forget a thing, but have you forgotten you do not care about Kotoko?!?!?! Or is this your blatant expression of YOU CARE?!?! Hehehe and look at our Prince Irie, still coolly strutting in front of Kotoko, a hand flinging his bag over shoulder, the other in his pocket. That won’t last long.
Kotoko the daughter visiting her dad’s restaurant must only mean one thing: an excuse to see Kinchan! Only your logic, boyfriend. And not so cool now, huh? Can’t help but nervously glancing over the shoulder anxious to see whether Kotoko really met up with Kinchan, had a date, kissed, and kinchan proposed…all sorts of queasy thoughts huh?
It’s dark, late at night, Kotoko can’t see it, but we can….the disappointment and shock on Irie’s face. And he pauses and he turns to look at Kotoko, 2 things Irie seldom do with Kotoko by his side walking.
‘You are moving out.’ You are leaving….me…. ‘What?’
You ask me if I’ll be lonely, that is if I’ll miss you. It’s all written on my face, these are not faces of someone relieved, nor one bit happy life will be back to the way it used to be. I do not forget a thing, my life used to be boring, mundane, unexciting, not funny, and I never smile and iz a wax statue. You can’t see my face, I won’t let you, I’m walking away…LEST I CRY!! *lolz
Dear Kotoko, it is not possible for you to know, but we have guitars of urgent angst accompanying you and you are in a shoujo role reversal this particular scene. When a heroine thought the hero is notloving/leaving/dumping her and thus saying hurtful things to hurt him as much as he’s hurting her feelings, saying the opposite of her intention, she wants you to go chase after her, give her a backhug, kiss the brain out of her, and make sweet love to her. Just this case the ‘her’ is Irie. My memo is late. This is not canon (a show of hands any InK purist objecting? I don’t see none). Better late than never, you need to know.
Special revision for Kotoko:
What is this face saying?
A. Don’t leave me.
B. Don’t EVER leave me.
C. Don’t you DARE leave me.
D. No, take it back, don’t leave me!
E. All of the above.
After close examination of this gif:
The boy is : A. Sad. B. Miserable C. Pleading you to take him back like a puppy D. inner shrieking of just love me Kotoko. E. parting lips slightly, desperately thinking if another kiss will make this go away.
This is: A. wax statue B. Tin man with no heart C. totally can tell this is the face of an IQ200 5 yo. D. how your husband giggles at you till his adam apples is shaking and only at you Kotoko.
This is: A. also how your husband smiles at you and only you Kotoko every time you are about to kiss for the rest of your life!
And you should’ve: A. pissed him off again with glaring eyes shouting you will forget him and all those lies in order to make him smooch you again, gf. B. grab his freaken towel and just do it. C. grab his wet hair and just freaken do it. D. chase him up his room and just…do it.
So yes, Kotoko, yup he’s yours.