This episode prompts me to reread the manga (Ch 12, 13 of vol. 4 btw) right away after it ends.
[All gifs and pics from weibo, thanks to original posters!]
Firstly, this week in the Itakiss C fandom:
A tweet from our ‘ebil stepmom’ ladywriter of rapey makjang FeiWoSiChun, at it again, commenting under some perfect fan MV. AHHHH , who doesn’t LURVE the Kimi Ni Todoke theme song and has it on playlists?! The movie is cute too and it is my fav HARUMAKUNNNN outing!!) and how befitting is the lyrics for this crossover?! Unrelated but I need a non-nikkid fur-halo’ed Harumakun:
2. 昂帕帕斯: **<-don’t click link JUST yet** I am slow, and tardy, and not the brightest bulb. There is a sudden shift of handles at weibo last few weeks, all pertaining to the itakiss fandom with these characters sneaked in, I thought it’s just the newest mando slang I’m clueless about and have something to do with tennis? Sampras (totally age showing) is translated as 森帕斯 and is 昂帕 pronounced as…..Op-pa?!?!?! I’m finally curious and puzzled enough to google translate. Go, and hit listen for pronunciation of those 4 characters in Chinese. IF you don’t get it yet (shame on you, disowned from fandom!), you click the link, and play the clip. And lets see how you can stop the giggles! *G* Irie repeating on purpose with J accent without any fuss, just for Kotoko’s sake. For a perfect geniusto even know how it’s spoken in Japlish is bizarre, he must’ve heard it from Kotoko and he noticed and made note and remembers.
3. This is the watching routine of a typical C fangirl (each phase is marked by a new onslaught of spamming @weibo):
- stream live @ midnight
- stream ENG SUB *a first for many, they are mostly not fluent in English. Csubs r usu so prompt, but engsubbers have the time diff advantage* any time in between waiting, do a manga reread of relevant chapters
- stream raw for the most amazing comments of the fandom live at bilibili (streaming site)
- or/and acfun (another streaming site), whichever site has it first.
- stream Csubbed first thing the next morning in the streaming sites you’ve watched raws with the comments shut down. As of last night when I watch subbed at bilibili, uploaded ~ a day, the ep was watched 742,952 times already. O____O
- rewatch ad nauseum during the week turning on the amazing comments screens @___@
- THEN make glorious list of the best comments made on the streaming sites. @@___@@
- rewatch ISWAK corresponding episodes @@@____@@@
I’ve never followed a mania jdorama live. But since I prefer watching Asian dramas in Csubs, I can’t get away from picking this cutest craziness rampant everywhere I look. Is it the same in your woods? Is there such a huge phenom ever?! Has it always been like THIS?!?!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why I jump to the manga right away is this is the episode where drastic plot,’key’ scenes are left out. Instead of training camp, they stayed put (it must be more manageable for filming, I guess), we do not have Girl2 being TypeA (A=annoying) OTPmeddling-by-lovedeclaring Girl2, and Kotoko+Senpai joining hands fighting love battles. It also cut out some Irie scenes and lines. * eg manga Irie and ISWAK ZhiShu…cooks* Imo I appreciate the deft touches, Yuki’s Irie is more cohesive *lets not forget what is yet to come REAL SOON in his set of plans he’s kept from everyone*, he is stewing in Kotoko is moving out, out of his life, that is not his plan, if like in the manga he witnessed Kinchan making his opportune move for the N th time and him jealous and toying Kotoko yet again, that has been done for 2 whole eps+ now and he has much more on his mind to be petty. A break from the teasing, jealous Irie actually gives way to some welcomed Kotoko character growth. Kotoko has the opportunity to test out life without Irie, she figures it out herself this will be the first baby-step of putting aside her crush. She stays with the Tennis Club because she wants to try hard at something, she has little to no chance bumping into Irie anyway, stuck at the bottom of the pack not even able to be on court holding a racket. We see her encouraging herself on, starting a new leaf, grateful of the cute doting by Kinchan but be honest with him her feelings, never leading him on.
Kinchan in this episode is truly winning, must be a threatening rival all along in Mr Mangaka’s mind never a note touched on in all the previous adapts, none of the off-putting obtuse, his tete a tete with Kotoko when he brought her his homemade bento out of concern is sweet, heartfelt and moving. Not much is said, they are feeling the exact woe, understanding each other like no one else. They are so alike, even how they nurse their own bruised heart is the same enthusiastic optimistic Kinchan and Kotoko. He likes Kotoko as much as Kotoko likes Irie, he does not take the opportunity to be pushy of his own agenda, harping on his love, he always puts her first, continues to be this true great friend and support even when he himself is suffering. It pains him seeing what Kotoko is suffering for love and we know he’ll wholeheartedly give his blessing with his weeping bleeding heart to be a KotokoNaoki shipper like us all just for her happiness.
How he is mesmerized just watching Kotoko enjoying his food, accompanied by the perfect lighting, cinematography in that scene…your heart is cold and unfeeling to not ship them however little that very moment.
This is an episode where Irie is at peace with himself concerning Kotoko. After obviously confused but aware of his own jealousy for a while now, even a dimwit in the romance dept like him can figure out he has some, however minutely obvious to him, feelings for Kotoko. He can’t deny, he can’t ignore. In his mind he made his hurt known as well as he could when she shocked him with the news of moving out. We all know his logic is now that he is used to her in his life, spending time with her doing nothing, not even conversing, everything with her tagging along is a routine and she is not allowed to disrupt that, including not loving him. But she said she’ll forget him, she is even physically leaving him and her only concern is if he would miss her, doubting he has any feelings towards her, when the Kotoko he thought he knew would never ever give up on him, he had proof with every of his provocation since the kiss. When he said ‘back to normal’, what is normal now Iriekun? Is this another mindteaser for Kotoko? Back at end of ep5 his normal was Kotoko loves him, forever, and he has to make sure she’ll never be able to forget him. He is not skilled at expressing with his words. ‘How about conveying it in action?’ Naoki must’ve contemplated.
After a few episodes of us having a ball kekekekeing at poor and so very confused Iriekun, let us not forget this is still the normally very cool-headed practical genius who makes meticulous calculation even of where the opponent will hit his every ball, the one and only Naoki Irie. After all the fog of confusion clearing out, he must have analyzed with his most advance left brain what he should do with these FEELINGS, his next move, like a most complicated chess game. With his dilemma of life’s goal dangling, he must’ve figured he can’t afford to lose any more of his brain, his time to these scary intangible uncontrollable tugs of his heart. He is aware, finally, he has also decided to stay numb and hide it even deeper. But he still has a right brain and our body parts rarely work exclusively. When our genius thought he has figured it out analytically and what a relief it must have been, confident he can submerge his feelings and impulses now, diverting himself focusing on manageable tasks, like tennis, tennis balls, Kotoko picking up tennis balls, Kotoko hitting tennis balls, sprinkled with the bonus to see Kotoko at dusk, till dawn, he unwittingly sets his emotional and expressive parts of his brain on even higher gears:
The Irie brother on the right got 99.99999% of the ‘abuse’ of a bumbling Kotoko in the house. The Irie brother on the left tasted a bite of the most awful agedashi tofu and a few shocks of an almost grownup could be much dumber than a smug 5th grader. But the thought of never having to taste yucky tofu and saving a few smirks calls for a joyous twirl with fav stuffed giraffe, while the right Irie brother is not even in the mood of faking this is news to him, let alone ‘good’ news, nor is he any good in faking it is none of his business because his faking it business on hand is to read that book and unless that book is possessed with some dancing spirits it should not be darting around as his eyes are, so detached and deflated he is not even functional to give his unknowing bro any acknowledgement, blinking away an almost somber tear, a face of obvious mourning. Yes, the debilitating grievance all over your face can only be that of mourning a love loss, indeed. When Kotoko is crying her hearts out *sobz* you are still reading that darn book, you can’t bring yourself to the window because I know you will CRY! Or made a mad dash down the stairs and smooch her a kiss hollering ‘lets see if you can leave ME!!’ *RAWWWRRRRR*
2. BEST META EVER!
Kotoko, don’t cry, Iriekun’s sulky face is obviously saying exactly this over and over in his head with a lot of pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasecomebackhome, and he is even reenacting this gif ad nauseum with that little paperback he ohsooooooobviouslyisreading as prop for the newspaper.
Kinchan has his gesture of affection by petting Kotoko’s head, you have your tennis ball hits. Yes, you can come to practice because you can, even though you had never. Lets do shoujo logic 1+1=OTP here, A at C, B at C for the first time, A never at C before, A is at C because?! Answer: A needs to be with B *sigh* Kotoko, you really need to figure that out yourself, read more shoujo, never expect Irie-kun to answer that out loud.
My fingers are tired typing the same thing again Iriekun: Did Kotoko expect you? No. Did Kotoko see you? Only your shoes and not your face, so not really. *but bad ‘ex’ obsessive fangirl Kotoko, you can’t recognize his tennis shoes?!?!* She did not utter her ‘Irie-kun~’ once and all her focus is on tennis balls while dancing ballet ‘Are you collecting balls still? (and ignoring me?!!?!?!??!?! How come you can keep doing the same thing except be conveniently in my sight? Here have the ball you want more than ME! )<_<‘ A New thing Irie-kun, jealous of tennis balls now that Kotoko is putting her words to action forgetting you!?
3. My guess is Irie-kun pokes Senpai just so Senpai will challenge him again and he can dazzle with his prefect self all around the court in front of Kotoko. Playing with Kotoko defies the point, initially, also he is at his most confused and clumsiest when Kotoko is around. ‘Don’t ever get in my way! (of luring you!)’ But notice him keeping a concerned corner of his eye on Kotoko as they are changing court. I SEE YOU IRIEKUN~!
Your pain is my pain, exactly the same spot guys, and we have CP wristbands. lalala~
Let me get hit by Senpai’s ball, you can only be hit (on) by me!
4. Senpai’s rematch proposal is clearly a passing joke (Senpai himself is shocked by Irie taking up the challenge). Old Irie may still be so competitive to agree but we are missing an annoyed disdaining look at Kotoko if she’s really ‘getting in his way’ for the Nth time. Kotoko is the one truly not looking forward to it. Oh, our pure, naive heroine, how little you know of your Irie-kun!
An aside: O______0
L: Sudou senpei R: the actor playing Sudou senpai a 88er(!!!) Kaji Másaki
Kotoko’s ‘DUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!’ face. Good that Iriekun is not around witnessing this, he’ll interpret it as you hated him kissing you and will piss him off to an unimaginable degree, because gf you do not go to this extreme of making such an OMFUG face. Bad that Iriekun is not around exactly because of the aforementioned, he WILL kiss your brains out right then and there, so pissed he would not even bothering dragging you to some deserted stairway.
‘Iriekun’s feelings never changed.’ NUHH. Wrong, Kotoko, so very very wrong. Yes, you have coerced and blackmailed and pleaded Iriekun to help you do a few things together, but did you ask for his help this time?!?!? Do you want the match? Do you want to spend a week with him training?! I genuinely see you dreading all of it. Again, so little you know of your Iriekun, so little.
You are late.
(It is the first date I…initiated) I don’t need to hear excuses.
From this point on Irie’s eyes on Kotoko: 99% of the time. Kotoko’s eyes on tennis balls: 99% of the time. And he is the one who said he wants to come train just because? He is not hitting a ball unless it’s towards Kotoko??!!?!
Old Irie: smirksmirksmirk and hit ball squarely at Kotoko’s forehead. New Irie: you darn tennis balls, how dare you take all Kotoko’s attention away from MEEEEEEEEEEEE! And why are you flying everywhere torturing myKotoko. Go die you tennis ball in my hand and that whole basket of darn tennis balls in btn me and myKotoko!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and Don’t close your eyes
(at me!) Don’t look at the ground… Never my shoes! Look at me!…Move your body towards where the ball is coming from (ermm I just swung a ball at your direction, ie ME!) Understand?!
Not the brightest bulb. Very cute though, and I bet out of frame an Irie is hawking.
Kotoko is still not paying attention to me. What will a 5yo 6ft tall IQ200 genius do? Hair grab! Notice how stiff I am once I touched her hair, and how much genius tactile control to make sure there is no yanking yet I get her at arm’s reach, turning around, looking at me. 5 yo genius is 5 yo and genius.
-Oh RAIN! Shall we…kissu? -Later.
Oh Kotoko, you like the rain now? You’ll LURVE it more… a whole bit later. kekekekekekekekekeke And I must say Bravo! Iriekun, that is one smooth move getting a second date at dawn after keeping her with you in the rain most of the night. You have only stayed up late a few nights in your life (and many more to come…oh my trashy brain!) and it’s ALL with Kotoko.
Girls and boys lets take note and prepare ourselves of how ridiculously hot the vision of Iriekun in the rain, just standing there, harping his yummy voice at hisKotoko. HMMM what if he’s not just standing there and doing something else with hisKotoko? I wonder. LOLZ where did our cutiepieyummycoach get those rubber ducklings?!
8. Warm fuzzies time AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :___: and Kinchan’s bento and warm words of TLC too!
9. After a few days and nights of most patient coaching *lets not start on how yummy Yuki’s voice has been tenderly uttering his commands, if ovaries are in our middle ears, they had combusted* and yourKotoko has finally served! She also serves you a most exuberant hug! Now if that is really an annoyed stare you are beaming Kotoko’s face, and so against the skinship, you have a free hand and a racket, you, of all cold unfeeling prince could’ve shoved her lightly away from koala-ing you. Instead you stand there not moving anything except turning your stoic face towards her. And your speech right after is your kind of sweet words of loving, not a mean word of dissing and teasing and toying at all! How our Iriekun grown in a few days of abstaining from Kotoko’s undivided attention on him and him alone: ‘It’s great (you are great) to have so many things to get excited about in your life. (I have only one….YOU!) I envy you. ( And I love you.) One more time. (Hug me)’
10. Girl2, because I can’t stand your face, so lets save the decorum of serving you a cap. Are you the biggest closeted KotokoNaoki shipper? It is not the first day Kotokoo is ’embarrassing Irie, wasting Irie’s time, giving Irie trouble’, it is different this time because the dude ASKS for it himself, all of it. Kotoko may be the slowest in the bunch, but given enough poking, she may some day wonder why is it that she keeps unwittingly embarrassing, troubling, getting into his way, wasting his time yet he is not showing any Old Irie nonchalant/disdain of it. And is this any of your business especially when the guy Kotoko is loving enjoys every bit of the trouble to the point of can’t live without it?!?! And yeah, I need to hate you for spoiling the deliciousness of Kinchan’s lovely katsu-winning-sandwich.
11. You are not alone. I am with you. Don’t be scared. <-A dime a dozen overused lines of hero to his damsel lover in a horror flick. Keyword: LOVER
This could not just be pertaining to a little tennis match you don’t even have a thought of winning( a bit ahead of myself but Naoki, you of all peeps, not winning?!). If this not a love declaration put to words I do not know what is. I don’t know if Iriekun is aware of Kinchan’s winning sandwich of love, that is cute and sweet, but it is Iriekun’s strict coaching that brings the best out of you Kotoko (and not the first time). There is one kind of love that is lifelong nourishing sustenance, we call that friendship, then there is the kind aspiring you to be the best, to dream your unimaginable dreams and shock your jaws till they drop on the floor being moved by his few actions and even fewer words. Or just an approving nod your way:
12. ‘Kotoko!’ shouts Iriekun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is this Itakiss beast doing to us all!?!?!??! Did you grasp out a little squee just when our cold prince FINALLY utter his beloved Kotoko’s name, the loudest of squees only a hot angsty kiss frenchie in a monsoon or a candlelit ‘boating’ scene can trigger in the other dramas. KO-TO-KO!!!!!!!!!!!
-You did it!
You’ve wormed into my heart, you’ve given me the never known to me joy of satisfaction of fighting hard for a thing TOGETHER.
13. Last episode we have an injured in action Kotoko, passed out on the court and we had an Irie in out of character uncontrollable laughing fits. We are all puzzled with how juvenile and uncaring he was, yes at least there was a reaction but it’s NOT a show of loving caring concern, on surface. Our Iriekun’s biggest advantage working for him is he’s DAMN SMART. A few days of cool headed depressing deep thoughts while mourning, then a few more days of spending every spare waking moment with Kotoko he himself made happening, we have this, a reaction of clear care and concern (and love, coz why would an unfeeling cold prince Irie be caring and concerned and touchy and feely? WHY?!?!):
He mined her shoulder, he mined her wrist, he mined her lips, he mined her hair, now he is mining her ankle. THEN:
A princess embrace from Iriekun. A better one than last time on his most unlucky day, he’s got practice. That is after our most competitive genius who has never lost until twice teamed up with Kotoko, drops a calling match off, quitting because Kotoko can’t play, like he’s saying a kthxbye while we go get a room, in passing.
I do not know how much of this is pure acting, but what makes this Itakiss adapt inching out, winning my heart irrevocably as the best shoujo thing ever is in these littlest touches of how straight and stiff Yuki’s Irie is. He is still awkward with expressing his feelings, with emotions. This is scary nerve wrecking unknown territory for him, he learns the new emotions of ‘excitement’, ‘jealousy’, ‘envy’ for the very first time in his life. While I still is fond of ArJoe’s combustible chemistry and their natural physical ease with each other, this is truer to character how a Naoki should behave, stiff and not really knowing what to do with a girl in his arms. A sign of I’ve stared at this gif too freaken long is when I can pull my eyes away from the OTP and noticed Sudou senpai dance of celebration in the far far background in a court of no concern in this little slice of heaven our OTP and all of us are in, as if we are not doing our own happy dance! And no Sweetie, God won’t be mad, at all.
14. This needs no caption, it is clearly from an episode of HGTV’s househunters Newlyweds edition.
Naori: This is my face of- I don’t mind it, I’m clearly anal and will be bothered with a breadcrumb on some nobody of no concern of me, but now my shirt is wrinkled and my undershirt is showing and she’s depending on me…..I don’t mind it one bit and am actually screaming with joy inside while stealing a slightest glance at your happy face. You guys will see a lot more of this face from now on.
Naori: This is my face of ‘Oh!crap, there we go again, I am defenseless against my ditzy wife for the 1234354875644th time. How this tiny cute INJURED thing manages to drag someone 1.5 ft taller and is a masterful powerful tennis player, even though that is my non arm, beats me. ‘ *Listen to oneechan Naori, this is both the power of love and the defenseless in love at play. Heady stuff.*
….because you did not just go along out of saving your arm. You displace the bag to your dominant arm so this arm can be totally Kotoko’s, to have and to hold.
Until next episode!
This is the flumpool 36C video LadyPDsama directed, and she posted this @ weibo, dedicating the video to all the fans of the rain kiss scene. Lord. Have. Mercy. On. Us. ALL. Now, do not be a big tease only LadyPDsama, we are not asking you to use your brain AT ALL, just Honoka and Yuki reenacting everything the couple in MV did, an exact replica and you insert it in InKLiT, SIMPLE. And we’ll stop bombarding your weibo with manga scans such as: